Wednesday, March 05, 2014

FLOTUS is right. Drink more water!

Over the past few weeks, I've made it a habit to drink a quart of water to wake myself up every day.  I can definitely feel a difference. (Then again, it could be this stuff.)  

The First Lady's initiative seems to be working and it's nice that everyone's making an effort to get hydrated. Still and all, did we push for water consumption before it was bottled and sold by all the major soft drink retailers? When I was a kid, wearing myself out playing with my siblings/cousins/neighbors kids and whatnot, the water from the hose in the backyard was good enough.  Or the kitchen sink.  Now everyone's got their favorite bottled brand or they've got a filtered pitcher in the fridge. When I was a kid, I thought water was free -- until my Daddy got the water bill, and then I knew that everything has a price.

Hardly any of us are getting all the water we need.  The $64,000 question is, how much water is that? 

The truth is, we're healthier without sodas and sugary drinks. Want to lose weight?  Drinking water every day instead of everything else you've been having -- Diet Coke, cocktails, lemonade, juices and the like -- will knock off several pounds a week.  It's nice to know that when it's time to reach for a bottle of water, we'll still be keeping those soft drink retailers in business. 



No comments: