Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Post-Birthday-itis Blues


I've celebrated my birthday for an entire month before the actual day hits for quite some time now, for lots of reasons. Mostly, it's because one day just isn't enough. The build up feels epic. And let's face it, it ups the fun factor considerably. Although I have to admit to the purchase of a Byron Lars shirtdress yesterday (thanks, ebay!) I make it a habit to give myself intangible presents, like an afternoon goofing off with good friends or an especially long walk home in the moonlight. 

Last week, I was thinking long and hard about what I really want this time around. Since my birthday hits at about the year's halfway mark, a certain amount of introspection seems to come with the territory. To tell you the truth, I'm getting what I want, big time: my Black Americana album The Other Side is climbing the Americana charts steadily with reviews coming soon (hopefully); I've already written the songs for my next Black Americana album; I'm losing my "Yay, I'm married and I'm happy!" 20+ lb weight gain; my hair is growing like crazy (finally!); and as unbelievable as it seems, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel with my dental work, which has been extensive, costly and extremely painful -- and worth it, for what it means to my overall health.

And oh, yeah -- that beautiful Byron Lars dress. So dope.


What I really want is to edit my closets and get rid of all this extraneous crap in this apartment -- and yes, in my life.  So this week, (just about) everything must go: clothes and shoes I've emotionally outgrown, paperwork that's lingering and anything else I can't stand. I'm hoping for a fresh start by the end of the week.

Interestingly, I'll be eating clean for the next 30 days and trying new things physically -- like yoga.

(Yay, me.)

No comments: