and yes, i wish he was here.
- for starters, i'm wandering through MoMA with Chris Adams for the better part of the afternoon. we'll probably do lunch there. later that night, there's a super-secret surprise party for a showfolk friend at a bar in midtown and then if i'm feeling groovy, i may venture down to the slipper room to say hello. great way to start the weekend.
- If i don't go to my cousin's BBQ in long island, i'm seriously thinking about entering The Great American Pie-Off at Bowery Electric, 7/26 , 4pm - 7pm -- because my friend thinks i make the best pie ever. and so do i. maybe that means it's time to share it with the world.
- Jef Lee Johnson at the Jalopy Theatre, 7/26 @8pm -- here's what the promo blurb says: "Guitarist Jef Lee Johnson is well-known as a session musician, playing for everyone from pop stars like Aretha Franklin and Billy Joel, to smooth jazz vocalists like Phyllis Hyman and Rachelle Ferrell, to fearless experimentalists like Ronald Shannon Jackson and McCoy Tyner. (He even has a mid-'80s stint as the lead guitarist in Paul Shaffer's World's Most Dangerous Band, the house band for Late Night With David Letterman, under his belt.) His solo albums, starting with 1996's Blue, are equally wide-ranging affairs, veering from straightforward pop songs to guitar-noise experiments that recall both Sonny Sharrock and Sonic Youth." not to be missed.
- Naked Ping Pong in Union Square, 7/27 @ 12pm -- i should take my niece zoe to this one.
- Chris Adams' Going Away Party, 7/27 @ 4pm -- that trip to MoMA was our last moment in the city. he's moving back to the ATL at the end of the month. truth be told, i miss him already.
- The Wet Spots at the Zipper Factory, 7/27 @ 8pm -- here's what their promo blurb says: "Picture a husband and wife team from the golden age of comedy. Now picture them singing sweetly about threesomes and taking it in the ass. Internationally acclaimed cabaret duo The Wet Spots (Cass King and John Woods) write the most elegant songs about sex that you will ever hear." nuff said.
aside from this, there's another birthday party on saturday night, an audition, parties with the africans in harlem and more goings on at the gym. i'm going to have a long soak and a beauty day on monday and maybe go see the dark knight at the director's guild in the afternoon.
life is good.